Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chili chicken enchiladas

I love enchiladas. I also love how easy they are to make. They can get a little messy, but usually it's not too terrible. They're what I order every time I go to a Mexican restaurant. I will say that I haven't quite gotten to the point that mine are better than the restaurants, but these were pretty good!

To save time with dicing or shredding the chicken, I just put the chicken through my food processor. I have a brand new giant KitchenAid that I am obsessed with. I've learned that I can shred chicken as well as cheese very quickly. I will likely no longer buy shredded cheese!

I didn't realize until it was time to get everything together that I only had 6 tortillas instead of 8. I ended up saving the leftover chicken mixture, and will likely eat it like a chicken salad tomorrow. It was delicious! We had wheat tortillas on hand, but you could use flour or corn, depending on what you have available.

I will also say that these were HUGE enchiladas. I had one and was stuffed. The serving size is for two per person. Do that if you're very hungry.

Chili chicken enchiladas-adapted from Mexcian Fiesta by Ortega
Total time: 1 hour
Serves 4

  • 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
  • 2-4 ounce cans diced green chiles
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1-10 ounce can enchilada sauce
  • 8-8 inch soft wheat tortillas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix chicken, sour cream, red peppers, chiles and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a bowl until blended.

Spoon 2 teaspoons enchilada sauce over a tortilla, top with 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll up the tortilla and arrange, seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Top the tortillas with remaining enchilada sauce and 1 1/2 cups cheese.

Cover dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 more minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails