Sunday, August 10, 2014

Beef and Lentil Bake

I don't know that I've ever had lentils in my life. I was a bit worried about this recipe, but figured I'd give it a try. Truth be told, Scott nor I really loved it but maybe it's just an aquired taste. I'm not quite sure :) We used the leftover beef from the 40 Clove Garlic Beef-I love those secondary uses!


Beef and Lentil Bake-adapted from The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook by Erin Chase
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves 4

  • 1 cup green lentils
  • 2 cups shredded, leftover, cooked beef roast
  • 1 cup white rice, cooked
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, add the green lentils and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer, tightly covered, for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain.

In a small bowl, whisk the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Spray an 8x8 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Combine the lentils, rice, beef and sauce. Top with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails