Saturday, July 5, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper Balsamic Portobello Burger

Woof. I have just been terrible at posting. I don't know why I've been so lazy. It's not like it takes a long time! I've even started trying to tell myself I should skip all the old stuff, as I don't remember a whole lot, and just post what I'm making new. But I want to share EVERYTHING with you, so I'm going back.

I remember liking these 'burgers' a lot. Using the english muffin as the 'bun' is awesome for portobello burgers as they have a moist texture, so you don't want too much 'soft' bread. Anythin with balsamic is good for me. The original recipe calls for asiago cheese, which I can only imagine is amazing on these. I used cheddar as that's what I had on hand. Still can't complain.

Oh don't you just love the shot of the paper towel in the background. I'm so classy sometimes...

Roasted Red Pepper Balsamic Portobello Burger-adapted from How Sweet It Is
Total Time 25 Minutes
Serves 4
  • 2 medium red peppers
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large portobello mushrooms
  • 4 slices cheddar cheese, or cheese of your choice
  • 4 English muffins
Preheat broiler. Core and seed red peppers, and slice into pieces. Place skin side up on a baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes or until black and charred. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until liquid reduces by half and in syrupy. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl to cool and thicken.

In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, paprika, onion powder and salt. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle the inside of the portobellos with the remaining olive oil, then brush the olive oil mixture on the tops of the portobellos and cook tops down for about 5 minutes, or until slightly juicy. Flip and add the cheese slices. Cook for about 5 minutes more or until the cheese has melted.

While the mushrooms are cooking, toast the english muffins. Place the portobellos on an english muffin half, top with a slice of red pepper and the balsamic glaze and enjoy. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails