Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pasta Fagioli Soup

This soup has been on my radar for awhile now that I keep getting kale in my market basket from Growing Power. I finally made it, and it's one of the easiest soups I've made! I also solely used my homemade chicken stock for the broth. That recipe will be coming soon, and I'll link to it (also super easy). The original recipe calls for white beans, but I accidenty bought black beans. Tasted just fine, so you could use whatever you have on hand!


Pasta Fagioli Soup-adapted from Recipe.com
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Serves 8

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
  • 29 ounces (2 cans) chicken stock
  • 3 cups water
  • 8 ounces small pasta shells, uncooked
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 bunch kale, destemmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Grated parmesan for serving
In a large saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.

Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and Italian seasoning. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.

Add kale and cook for 5 minutes. Bring down heat to medium and stir in beans, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cook about 3 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with grated parmesan.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails